Cordova roadmap

Posted May 25 by Aidan Wojtas.

With 1.16, Cordova was announced as deprecated.

What is the roadmap for framework support? How do Cordova features map to the yet-to-be-released js wrapper once AppWorks 1.20 is released?

Why is Cordova being deprecated? Is this around licensing?

Here is a fictitious example:
Cordova is used to access the front camera on a phone to take an identity photo whenever documents of security clearance HIGH are accessed. As the vendor of this app, how do I know whether this will continue to be supported, or do I need to start planning a re-write to directly use device APIs (at someone's cost)?

Thanks

4 Answers

BEST ANSWER: As chosen by the author.

Cordova is still part of the AppWorks 1.1.6 clients.

We will replace Cordova with our own implementation of a JavaScript to Native bridge, because we want the AppWorks Apps to also work on the Desktop. Cordova doesn't support the Desktop, but AppWorks will with our own library.

The replacement of Cordova will be introduced by the end of this year, although AppWorks Clients will continue to support Cordova until the end of 2015.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,

Werner

Thanks Werner.

Will there be any change in supported mobile platforms? In v1.2+, is Cordova still used as the native application host on a mobile device, or is that also being re-written?

An update to this topic: we are currently reviewing the previously announced plans for the deprecation of Apache Cordova in AppWorks. We hope to have a further update soon.

You have subscribed and will receive email notifications of updates to this topic. To unsubscribe, uncheck the checkbox.

Statistics

Related categories

Related tags

Your answer

To leave an answer, please sign in.